VAT managers are as reliant as ever on Excel for supporting VAT compliance. HMRC’s focus on adequate systems and processes, including the SAO regime and more recently the Making Tax Digital (MTD) consultations, means there is an increased focus on review and error checking. HMRC’s comments have made it clear that spreadsheets are here to stay but that they must be made MTD-compliant.
Equipping indirect tax professionals with better Excel knowledge and skills can be a practical and cost efficient way to reduce spreadsheet risk, and explore how spreadsheets could be made MTD-compliant.
Common challenges for VAT managers
What does the course offer?
- Lack of confidence in legacy spreadsheets that are perhaps not as robust as they should be
- Too much time is spent "re-learning" spreadsheets and their interactions every quarter
- Inefficient, manual processing of data means more effort goes into looking for figures instead of considering their effect
- Minimal controls present, including lack of audit trail and sheet protection, can result in a ‘hope for no errors’ mentality
Why you should attend this course
- Case studies of real and relevant Excel VAT issues based on our experience throughout the VAT compliance cycle of Validation > Preparation > Review
- Help attendees unlock a suite of Excel functionality and suggested best practices including robust spreadsheet design and risk
Topics covered include:
- Small learning groups, designed with VAT managers in mind
- Opportunity to discuss the issues you face when working with spreadsheets
- Supports risk management and compliance with SAO
- Explore what may be required for Making Tax Digital
- Supports a smoother compliance process
- Overview into what may be possible
Who should attend?
- Handling and validating VAT data
- Designing for maintenance
- Building in controls and checks
- Common pitfalls
- Review summaries
- Bringing it all together to complete the return
This one day training course is designed for VAT managers and is taught by VAT specialists and Excel specialists.
"This is one of the most valuable courses I have been on for some time, it has opened my eyes to what is possible in Excel and how we could use these tools to improve our VAT process".
"This course was exactly what I needed to enhance my excel skills - in an area which I had familiarity with, rather than just a generic course".
If you have any specific queries in regards to the course content or in general please contact us at VATexcel@deloitte.co.uk